Search This Blog

Monday, September 12, 2011

Fall Is In The Air

Fall is my favorite season, but after it is the longest, most depressing season of all in the northern U.S.  It has been getting more and more chilly at night, which I actually love because I sleep the best when it's chilly and I'm surrounded by my down comforter (it's even supposed to be in the 50's by the middle of this week).  I love crisp fall days where I get to wear my scarves and hoodies without people making comments (I love my scarves and hoodies), I can cover up my less than perfect legs, people don't make fun of me for wearing layers, I can go outside and run around with the chicken without getting over heated.  The list goes on and on. 

The one thing I worry about is temperature control for the chicken.  If I leave his window open I worry that he gets too cold (he absolutely will not stay under his blanket), but if I close the window it gets pretty stuffy in there.  I think that I get a little too preoccupied with temp control because I am thinking about it when we're out in the stroller, in the car, at night, in the morning when he likes to run around in his onesie.  Another one of those things I need to calm myself about, ha ha.

But, as I said before, with Fall inevitably comes Winter.  It's not that I hate Winter, I really don't mind it.  Sure, it can get depressing as it drags on for about 6 months, but it's also a great excuse to get cozy and cuddly with your family indoors.  What I absolutely HATE is living in the darkness.  When I get up for work at 5am it's dark, when I leave for work at 6 it's dark, when I'm done with work at 4:30 it's dark.  Dark dark dark.  The only time I see the light of day is if I decide to risk the extreme temps of Wisconsin winter and go outside for some god-forsaken reason during the work day.  No thank you.  And if it happens to snow?  You can turn my 3 hour a day commute into a 6 hour commute.  6 hours.  Of my day.  Stuck in my car not at home with my family.  This will be my first winter at work with my baby as I was lucky enough to take last winter off with him.  I don't even know how this is going to work.  I highly doubt daycare will keep him until 8 at night, and it would be unfair regardless.  Husband works at a mobile store so his hours are all over the place.  Though, I think they are a bit more flexible than my job (it's a big no no to leave work for anything, they are super strict on attendance) so maybe the logistics won't be as bad as I'm thinking.

But there are good things in Winter as well.  Hot chocolate and apple cider, sledding, snowboarding (which I will not be doing as I'm pregnant, that is frowned upon ;) ), coming into the warm house from the cold outdoors, Christmas trees.  I just have to remind myself of all the good things that come with it, and try to stop focusing on the negative aspects (even when the negative aspect is a HUGE chunk of my time.)

So I'll leave you all with that. 

PS - I can't WAIT to take the chicken to an apple orchard!

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I'm the mom posting about a move to WI in the coming months and I'm totally freaking out about this post! Mostly the 'dark, dark, dark!' part, the part about snow turning a simple commute into something more complex. Thrilled about the prospect of going to an apple orchard though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the apple orchards are wonderful! Hayrides for the kiddos, apple picking, haunted hayrides. It's so much fun! The dark isn't awesome and I'm sure it'll be a big adjustment, but every other season up here is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete